Saturday 5 June 2010

Group 1 on April

I. Adam Ismail [2201409015]

Title : Twilight
Author : Stephanie Meyer
Publisher : Little, Brown and Company Publication
Year published : 2006
Number of pages : 498 pages
Date begun : April 5th 2010
Date finished : April 29th 2010
Type of book : Fiction
Level of difficulty for me : OK


What I like most about this book :

I read this book on recommendations from some of my fellows. I didn't think I would enjoy it at first, but then I know not to judge a book too much by first impression.
I really wanted to like this. I did, but I just couldn’t. I just read it to quench my curiosity and for fun.

What I like least about this book :

Save your time. Here are some dialogs that will give you a brief content of this novel.

First 200 pages:
"I like you, Edward!"
"You shouldn't! I'm dangerous!"
"I like you, Edward!"
"But I'm dangerous!"

Next 50 pages:
"I'm a vampire!"
"I like you, Edward!"
"But I'm a vampire! I'm dangerous!"
"I like you, Edward!"

Next 100 pages:
"I like you, Edward!"
"You smell good, Bella. I'm dangerous!"
"I like you, Edward!"
"Damn, you smell good."
"I like you, Edward!"
"Also, I glow in sunlight."

Next 50 pages:
A. VAMPIRE. BASEBALL. GAME.
(I wish I were kidding)

Last 100 pages:
"Help me, Edward! I'm being chased!"
"I'll save you!"
"Help me, Edward! I'm scared!"
"I'll save you!"
"Oh, Edward!"
"You smell good."

(One star for lack of quality and two stars for being so hilarious.)

The main characters of the story are a weak-easy to be fainted-normal girl (Bella) and every teenage girl's vision of a "perfect" guy (Edward). Bella is described as weak female main character in this novel. Oh c’mon, this is the 21st century people! Do we want to raise a generation of young women who can't stand on their own two feet? I just can’t stand knowing that the main character in this story is so weak, has no goal, no ambition, and aargh she’s just the portrayal of bad girl in the 21st century. If I had a daughter, I don’t want her to be like Bella.
Later, Most of the pages are filled with romantic conversations between girl and boy or are describing how badly the girl wishes she were having a romantic conversation with the boy. To me, being 498 pages, this book sounds extremely boring.

Finally, the worst thing about this book is that it's so popular. There are thousands of young girls all over the world who are falling to Edward and wishing that they could be "just like Bella". I can’t imagine if all of the young girls, after reading this novel, will be just like Bella who just care of her love (or lust???). What a shame!

II. Ainul Hufron [2201409051]

Title : what is feminism?

Author : Jennifer Baumgardner and Amy Richards

Publisher : feminist.com

Date published : 2010 Number of pages/paragraphs: 7 pages

Type of book : __Fiction _√_Nonfiction

Level of difficulty for you: __Easy _√_OK__Difficult

What did you like most about this article?
» I like this article because the language style of the article is quiet simple. It told me most about what the term feminism is. I got knowledge about feminism a lot.


What did you like least about this article?
» I think the article is nice, there is nothing in it that I didn’t like, except a few sentences I didn’t understand.

III. Novi Setiowati [2201409126]

Title  :  Pilgrims Flock for Holy Ritual
Author :  Yemris Fointuna
Publisher :  The Jakarta Post
Date Published  :  Saturday, April 3, 2010
Number of Paragraphs :  19 paragraphs
Type of Book :  Nonfiction
Level of Diffulty :  Easy

What did you like most about this article?

There are many pilgrims have a great willingness to celebrate the holy week. They came from many different places, domestic and foreign. They had to face many obstacles but the didn’t give up. They remind Jesus Christ’s sacrifices to cover all of men sins. He never gave up although He must suffer because of the cross.The celebration itself is the biggest in history and is attended by at least 15.000 pilgrims.

What did you like least about this article?

I like the great willingness that the pilgrims had to celebrate the Semana Santa holy week in Larantuka.  The wiilingness itself had caused them didn’t give up although they had to face many obstacles to go there and when they were there. For example, the 66th man with a mild stroke, Petrus Sunarso. He and his family had traveled for four days, covering around 3000km from his home in Jakarta to Larantuka. The celebration itself was 5th century.

No comments:

Post a Comment